The University of Lethbridge and RMIT have initiated an annual Aboriginal residency exchange program between Canada and Australia. Indigenous artists are invited to make an application for an artist residency at RMIT in Melbourne, Australia. The term artist, in this context, is defined as someone with a studio, research and/or intellectual practice that engages material production and/or critique (includes photographers, painters, filmmakers, video/audio artists, installation/digital artists, etc.).
The successful candidate will be required to undertake the residency for a minimum of 6 weeks between May- June 2012.
RMIT, School of Art Melbourne, Australia
Through an outstanding education in art practice and theory RMIT’s School of Art has established a reputation as Victoria’s number one art school of choice. The school is committed to fostering a collaborative culture where students, artists, writers, academics, communities and arts organizations from around the world join to explore and lead this evolving and interdisciplinary field.
International Artists in Residence (iAIR) program
The iAIR program facilitates residencies in Australia for international artists and sends Australian artists overseas. The program was formed to contribute to the international focus within the School and to build links with innovative global networks enhancing RMIT’s role in contemporary art discourses.
The residency provides a residence, a $2000 stipend, a private studio, personal support, access to office facilities (computer, internet and printer) and access to various RMIT studio areas and facilities. The residency will provide the successful applicant with an exhibition in the RMIT project space gallery. Should you wish your application to not be considered without an exhibition component to the residency, please note so in your cover letter.
Assistance for airfare is not provided and all freight costs are the responsibility of the artist.
Applications are due by January 30th, 2012. All applications MUST include the following:
- Cover letter
- Please include your full name, telephone number, email and mailing address.
- Proposal Statement
- A one-page statement that outlines what you hope to achieve during your residency period. This project/exhibition rational should link your current research/practice to the Australian residency.
- Examples of recent
- 10 images (jpeg, 1MB) on CD or DVD, Mac readable. Please label each image file sequentially with number, initials and date (e.g. 01initialsdate, 02initialsdate, 03initialsdate) AND/OR 5 minutes video compilation/excerpt on DVD
- List of Works
- Image list or video list that corresponds to jpegs submitted. Please include title, medium, duration/dimensions and dates.
- Curriculum Vitae
- A Curriculum Vitae detailing you professional practice.
- Support documentation
- Include any examples of current catalogues, writing or reviews that may detail or discuss your practice. Please do not submit originals, as they will not be returned.
- Letters of Reference
- Include two signed and sealed Letters of Reference with the application. Please list the name, affiliation, phone number and email of the two references for your application. Emerging artists or applicants who feel that letters of reference will strengthen their application may choose this option.
Applications may be submitted by:
Mail or Courier
University of Lethbridge/ RMIT Aboriginal iAIR Exchange Studio Residency
Att: Rebecca Gray
University of Lethbridge
4401 University Drive
Subject: University of Lethbridge/ RMIT Aboriginal AIR Exchange
Please note that:
- Applications must arrive by the January 30th, 2012.
- The University of Lethbridge will review all the applications and will then select 2-3 short-listed candidates.
- The applications of the short-listed candidates will be forwarded to the RMIT iAIR Residency Program for final selection.
- The RMIT iAIR Residency Program Residency Program will select the successful candidate and notify the University of
- Lethbridge of the final decision.
- Please do not email applications larger than 5MB
University of Lethbridge Faculty of Fine Arts- http://www.uleth.ca/finearts/
University of Lethbridge Gushul Studios - http://www.uleth.ca/finearts/departments/art/gushul-history
Ph. (403) 329-3997
Email: Rebecca Gray