Put together a holiday playlist with some of your favourite tunes. Music is a great way to help you relax. A quote by Plato really captures the power of music, “Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, and life to everything.” Take time to enjoy some music over the holidays.
Maybe a family colouring night is in the books this year. Colouring is a great way to de-stress and bring out your creativity. There are colouring books in numerous styles, making it easier to find one that suits each member of the family. As well, there are many sites which offer free printable pages such as: http://www.crayola.ca/free-coloring-pages/ ; http://www.supercoloring.com/ ; and http://www.canadianfamily.ca/colouring-pages/ . Dig out some pencil crayons, crayons or markers and have some fun colouring!
It might be a good time to start reading a new book. Reading a well-written book can help by taking you away from the busyness of life. According to Readers Digest, the following are the best new books for December 2016:
- 99: Stories of the Game by Wayne Gretzky
- Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen
- Canada by Mike Myers
- The Whistler by John Grisham
- Appetites by Anthony Bourdain
- A Game of Thrones: The Illustrated Edition by George R. R. Martin
- Live by Night by Dennis Lehane
- Talking as Fast as I Can by Lauren Graham
- Cooking for Jeffrey by Ina Garten
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay by J.K. Rowling.
You can find a brief description of each novel here. If one of these sparks your interest, why not visit the Wood Buffalo Regional Library and check one out? For those exceptionally cold nights, reading is a great way to pass the time!
Find some time to relax. Enjoy the festive lights. Reward yourself with time just for you.