Monday 30 April 2012

Surfaces: New exhibit opening at MacDonald Community Art Gallery

Surfaces: Exploration of Light, Texture and Contrast
From May 2 to May 30

Artists: Joanne Pilgrim, Tamara M. Hannah and Lil Barefoot 

Grand Opening: May 3 at 7:00pm
Location: MacDonald Island Community Art Gallery (second floor of the Suncor Community Leisure Centre)

This exhibition presents a variety of media such as fused glass, ceramic tiles, paintings and collages. Surfaces: Exploration of Light, Texture and Contrast is all about exploring, mixing and trying a variety of materials and surfaces. Three local visual artists invite viewers to interpret their artwork and explore their passion for colour, light and shadow.


"My work in this exhibition explores relationships between nostalgia and traditional ceramic techniques. I have incorporated simple hand building, wheel thrown designs, and surface treatments to create objects that invoke different aspects of nostalgia.                                     Instead of vivid memories, I have abstractly captured visceral representations of familiar sentiments".                                                                                                       
            Tamara M. Hannah

"I developed my art skills by working and trying different mediums such as paper tole and faux painting. Looking for something different l took a course about fused glass and how to use a kiln. Currently, I am working with glass creating utility and non utilitarian art".
Joanne Pilgrim

“My work focused on the grandeur of color, shapes and contrasts that describe any certain sequence, derived from the use of various materials and techniques.
I express myself freely, following my intuition and inspiration occasionally aroused by dreams or events from my own life; often within the surreal universe, leading the audience into a swarm of imagination”.
Lil Barefoot 


Ana Maria Mendez-Bark
Culture Coordinator
MacDonald Island Park Corporation T 780-791-0070 ext. 5098 
F 780-791-2898 

No comments:

Post a Comment