The County of Grande Prairie No 1 is seeking a Chief Executive Officer (CEO) for The Philip J. Currie Dinosaur Museum – a brand new, world class facility in Wembley, AB with experience in collections, programming and facility management.
The CEO is responsible for the development, execution, and management of the policies, programs, and initiatives of the Philip J. Currie Dinosaur Museum as directed by its Board of Directors. The successful candidate will provide leadership toward achievement of the Museum Society’s mandates, mission, and its' long-term and immediate goals and objectives. Ideal candidates will have previous experience in the management of a non-profit organization and have current management credentials and have a willingness to serve as the Executive Director of the Museum Society.
As the successful candidate you will have the ability to supervise and manage professional, volunteer, and administrative staff members, through a supportive, collaborative environment.
You will possess strong written and verbal communication skills and have previous experience with budget preparation, fiscal management and analysis. You have the capability to develop and implement long-range plans; as well as, an ability to develop, implement, and evaluate public opinion surveys and related data collection vehicles. You will have some understanding of curatorial requirements of a unique museum collection and have knowledge of current and emerging public relations issues and trends applicable to the museum and cultural fields.
The successful candidate will possess a degree in Finance, Business Administration, Public Administration or a related field and have a minimum of ten years’ experience in progressively advancing level of executive and managerial capabilities. A demonstrated successful track record in fundraising, and previous experience as a CEO of a similar sized non-profit organization, preferably in the field of arts and culture, are assets, and a passion to advance the mission of the Museum is a must.
Duties will include; but are not limited to:
• Managing the staff, services and activities of Museum.
• Developing and maintaining the Annual Business Plan and Budget for the Museum.
• Hiring, supervising, training, and evaluating staff members, as well as overseeing the work of professional consultants.
• Serving as the Museum’s primary spokesperson, including interaction with the media, community associations, and others as necessary and appropriate.
• Overseeing and coordinating fundraising and donor management activities.
• Identifying new initiatives and partnerships to grow membership and revenue (i.e. grant writing and community/ corporate sponsorships).
• Developing – in conjunction with the Chair – the agenda for the Board meetings; attends and reports to the Board at its meetings; oversees or performs an accurate recording of the proceedings; and distributes information in a timely manner.
• Recommending and administering goals, objectives, policies and procedures of the Society.
• Developing and maintaining effective relationships with persons and groups directly or indirectly associated with the Museum and the Society,
• Coordinating the activities of and assists Board members with implementation of the Business plan.
• Preparing reports as requested by the Board Chair.
Compensation for this position shall be based on experience and qualifications. Vacation and health benefits are provided.
About the Philip J. Currie Dinosaur Museum and the Pipestone Creek Dinosaur Initiative
The Philip J. Currie Dinosaur Museum, scheduled to open its doors in 2014, will be a 41,000 sq. foot, world-class facility highlighting the rich fossil resources of Northern Alberta. Named for Dr. Philip Currie, Canada’s preeminent palaeontologist, the museum, located in Wembley AB will serve as a hub of education and science in the area.
For more information on this exciting opportunity please contact:
Brian Brake, Executive Director
Pipestone Creek Dinosaur Initiative
c/o County of Grande Prairie No. 1
10001 – 84 Avenue, Clairmont, AB T0H 0W0
Phone (780) 567-5584 x106
Closing date for this competition is July 4, 2014. To apply for this position please forward your resume, cover letter and three references to:
Human Resource Coordinator
County of Grande Prairie No. 1
10001 – 84 Avenue, Clairmont, AB T0H 0W0
Fax 780-532-9709 (confidential)
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for interview will be contacted.