Thursday 10 February 2011

Hunchback

Last night I had the privilege to attend the "media call" for Catalyst Theatre’s production of Hunchback at Keyano Theatre. I had never been a part of a media call before so I was totally in the dark as to what would go on. I showed up a few minutes early and was greeted by Alanna Bottrell, the Arts Publicist/Marketing Coordinator and Nick Beach, the Production Manager for Keyano Theatre. Alanna handed me a small bag that contained a note pad, a few pens, sticky notes, a twix bar (yum) and a show brochure. She informed our group (there were four other attendees) that the actors would perform one scene for us and that afterwards we would have the opportunity to interview and photograph various members of the cast and crew. At this point I felt like may have made one of those cartoon ‘gulp’ sounds – I was not prepared, I didn’t bring a camera, I didn’t know anything about the cast or crew and thus have questions prepared.

We filed into the theatre and were given free range to find our seats – they only suggested that we stay in the lower bowl of the theater. I shuffled my way along and took a seat just of the left side of centre stage. The lights went down and the stage lit up. The stage housed four or five cage like structures – which I linked to steeples or cathedral towers from my previous knowledge of the Hunchback story. These silver steeples were lit with bright pink and purple lights, as the music began and the cast started to appear- weaving in and out of the steeples legs, I couldn’t help but think “Tim Burton”.

Singing as they appear each cast member asks the audience for something in a playful but edgy way “can I tell you my story – it a real tear jerker”, “Can you give me a leg up – I could really use one”. They slink onto stage in their outfits made up of pleather, fishnets, wires, dark make-up, platform combat boots all toped off with silver wire and punk style hair dos.

You wouldn’t want to turn your back on this ensemble, they may make you feel like your their “best friend” but they're sly, hard around the edges and practiced at slight of hand. From what I saw last night this production promises to be dark, humorous, beautifully choreographed, preformed and staged.
The one snip-it that they preformed for us was a song tilted "Welcome to the Court of Miracles" which will be stuck in my head for at least a week!

Well done to all who was involved in last nights media call – I very much appreciated the invite and am very excited to see the full show!

Cheers,

Connor

I willl upload pictures soon! Here they are: three photos courtesy of Layla Hyde, Fotosource





















More info:
From the theatrical company that brought you Nevermore and Frankenstein , the award-winning Catalyst Theatre brings HUNCHBACK to Keyano Theatre. Adapted from Victor Hugo's novel, conceived by Jonathan Christenson and Bretta Gerecke, love at its most potent, merciless and obsessive - is at the centre of this darkly romantic tale and musical. Amid the buttresses and shadows of Notre Dame Cathedral, a tormented priest, a beautiful dancer and the deformed bell ringer Quasimodo are swept up in a vortex of lust, fear and the desire to control destiny that will ultimately destroy them all.
February 10*, 11, 12, 16, 17, 18, 19, 2011 at 8pm

Matinee -February 13 & 19 at 2pm

February 10* - Preview
February 11 - Opening Night Reception

Rating: Mature

Keyano Box Office is open Monday to Wednesday 12:30 pm to 4 pm, Thursday and Friday 12:30pm to 8pm, Saturday 11am to 4pm and an hour before a ticketed event. To purchase tickets call the box office at 780-791-4990 or buy online at http://www.keyano.ca/theatre

2 comments:

  1. Went to opening night last night. Simply amazing. This is the best play I've seen in Fort McMurray. If you're reading this and don't have tickets, get some now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara Aarsteinsen14 February 2011 at 17:34

    I have seen several Catalyst Theatre productions in Edmonton, so I had high expectations for Hunchback. I wasn't disappointed. Fantastic! Visually stunning! Don't miss this play. Catalyst's production of "Nevermore," about the life of Edgar Allan Poe, was in a similar vein and likewise was excellent.

    ReplyDelete