CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
Creation Residency Opportunity
for Edmonton based creators 35 years and under
Submission deadline: 5 p.m. Monday, July 23rd, 2012
Catalyst Theatre invites submissions for a new work creation project in theatre, developed and produced over a two-season cycle, with the first year’s activity in the 2012 / 2013 season, and second year’s activity in the 2013 / 2014 season.
What Catalyst is looking for:
Consistent with our mandate we are looking for exciting performance projects in which all production components are newly created. While we are interested in the work of creative ensembles, projects that are developed under the vision and leadership of one artist are of greatest interest. Year one is intended as a research and development phase. In year two the resident artist will produce and present a new work in our venue.
We wish to invest in the development of a distinctive and exciting creative voice in Edmonton’s theatre community by providing foundational support for a highly motivated artist or creative ensemble, fiercely committed to deepening and refining their practice and aesthetic and prepared to invest in making a significant breakthrough in their craft.
What Catalyst will provide
Purpose: Research and experimentation
• Four weeks of venue time for the purpose of research and experimentation
• Technical director services for twelve 8-hour days
• Secondary crew services for 32 hours
• $750 dollars for equipment rental or additional crew costs required during the project
Purpose: Development, rehearsal and production
• Eight weeks of venue time
• Crew budget of $6,000
• FOH services for public activity
The selected artist(s) should expect:
• To engage with Catalyst Theatre’s core creative and management team in a supportive, consultative relationship
• To bring their own production resources to the residency as required, in addition to what Catalyst provides
• To make a two year commitment to deepening and refining their artistic practice and aesthetic (Year Two dates to be negotiated)
• To provide a showing or demonstration of the research at the end of the first year phase. This may be open to the public, or for an invited audience only.
Who is eligible to apply?
• Individual artists and existing ensembles.
• Principle artists must be Edmonton based and no older than 35 years of age.
5 p.m. Monday, July 23rd, 2012
Available dates in 2012-2013:
• November 18 to December 2, 2012
• January 1 to 13, 2013
• February 4 to March 2, 2013
• April 29 to May 18, 2013
Your proposal should indicate which of these weeks you would like to request. You may work in four one-week stages, one four-week stage, or any other combination as long as you are requesting full weeks. No pro-rated weeks.
• Name, email, telephone number and CV of creative director/principle applicant
• An overview of the project and your current challenges: we are interested in a statement of what you wish to explore and why, and what disciplines, technologies or influences you imagine drawing on. If you have a specific story or subject that will serve as a launching pad for your work include a synopsis or description
• CV’s or bios for all of the participants in the project and a brief description of the role you envision for each of them in the process
• A requested schedule totaling four weeks out of the available blocks of time provided above
• An activity plan for each of the four weeks in Year One
Electronic submissions only, sent to Eva Cairns, firstname.lastname@example.org
If you require further information please contact Eva Cairns, Managing Producer, Catalyst Theatre,email@example.com or at (780) 431-1750.
This pilot project is made possible with support from the Edmonton Community Foundation.