OPEN CALL TO ALL LOCAL 2D and 3D ARTISTS IN WOOD BUFFALO
FuseSocial is thrilled to announce that the Call to Artists for the fifth edition of the Wood Buffalo Timeraiser is now open. Timeraiser is a volunteer matching fair, a silent art auction, and a night out on the town. The big twist is rather than bid money on artwork, participants bid volunteer hours.
Through funding from local and provincial sponsors, we are able to purchase all artwork locally at fair market value and auction it off on the night of the event. Last year, 43 pieces of art were purchased from local artists for the event, which means approximately $18,000 went into supporting the Wood Buffalo Art Community. The combined art pieces generated approximately 3,700 volunteer hours in the Wood Buffalo social profit sector.
Successful auction bidders have 12 months to complete their pledged volunteer hours to organizations in the Wood Buffalo Region. The independently ran Wood Buffalo Timeraiser exhibit will be open to the public from April 4th – April 29th. The Timeraiser Opening Reception will occur on April 14th, 2016.
There is no submission fee associated with this call.
ARTWORK SUBMISSION GUIDELINES AND CRITERIA:
- · Submissions must be received electronically by February 22, 2016 at 4:30PM. Please include all information below in one email and send to email@example.com
- · Selected artists are strongly encouraged to attend the Art Council Wood Buffalo (ACWB) in partnership with the Canadian Artists’ Representation/Le Front des artistes canadiens (CARFAC) Submission Workshop on January 30th, 2016:
- o Workshop outlines how to photograph and finish artwork professionally for the gallery and how to package artwork for delivery.
- o There is a cost associated to this workshop. Timeraiser applicants will be reimbursed for the cost after they submit their artwork on February 22nd.
- · Applicants must be a resident of Wood Buffalo.
- · Preference will be given to emerging or mid-career artists.
- · Maximum five pieces entered per artist.
- · All pieces must be original; no copies or prints permitted (Pieces selected in previous years for Timeraiser may not be submitted again).
- · All pieces must be recent; created within the last 2 years (2014+).
- · All artwork must be ready to hang (wire setting 1/3 from the top of the artwork, no saw tooth hangers).
- · All pieces must be framed and signed (stretched canvas must have finished painted edges, no stapes showing and artwork on various papers must be in a frame with glass front.)
- · 3D Artwork that fits within display case dimensions (16” wide x 16” deep x 10” high) will be displayed for the duration of the exhibition. All other 3D artwork chosen will be showcased only during the open reception and silent auction.
· Artist set the price of their own artwork submission (up to a maximum of $1,500).
SUBMISSIN ENTRY – PLEASE SEND THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION IN ONE EMAIL:
- Submission Form.
- High Resolution digital picture of your submission.
- Artists Statement (maximum 250 words).
- Brief biography (maximum 250 words).
- Photo of yourself (optional).
- Price of each submitted piece, up to a maximum of five pieces (including the costs associate with appropriate framing and hanging).
- Label Information: Your name as you would like it to appear, the title of your work, the medium (example: Oil on Canvas, Collage on Board, Mixed Media, Photography, etc.) and the dimensions (in inches).
· Art will be selected by a non-exhibiting jury consisting of a FuseSocial Board Member, a member of the MI Visual Arts Department, Art Council of Wood Buffalo representative and an artist in the community. There is no guarantee that all art will be chosen.
Selected artists will be notified via email on or before March 3rd, 2016.
o Artists are responsible for making arrangements to drop-off their artwork at the designated time and space, the artwork cannot be stored at the gallery.
· Exhibition of the artwork will commence on April 4, 2016 and be open until April 29, 2016. Timeraiser event occurs on April 14th, 2016.
For more information:
Volunteer & Training Coordinator